While working in QuickBooks with the Rebuild tool, did you suddenly encounter the target chaining error? There is no need to worry about it as through this article, we shall uproot this error once and for all.
The Chaining Error or Target Chaining Error is a persistent issue that QuickBooks Desktop users encounter. This problem typically appears after using QuickBooks Rebuild Utility or rebuilding your company file.
Through this article, you shall learn about the Chaining Error in QuickBooks and various solutions to fix target chaining errors when running QuickBooks rebuild utility. After rebuilding the company file, the chaining problems are displayed in the QuickBooks.log or QBWIN.log files.
Primary causes that lead to the Target Chaining Error in QuickBooks Company File
The following are the primary reasons that contribute to the Target Chaining Error in Company File in QuickBooks:
- The Verify Data Utility abruptly stops working.
- The company file got damaged or contracted some problem that QuickBooks cannot correct.
- The error may appear when the data file is older or more significant than the suggested size of 1 GB or when your Internet connection is sluggish.
- Your server and workstation don’t have adequate RAM, etc.
Easy Avenues to fix the Target Chaining Error in QuickBooks Desktop
The target chaining error can be addressed quickly if you’re a user with some technical know-how. On the contrary, if you aren’t one, then follow the easy-to-implement guidelines enumerated below:
Make a backup copy of the file you want to restore before rebuilding or before restoring the file. Perform the following actions on the restored file now:
- After opening the QuickBooks Company file, hit the F2 key to bring up the Product Information screen.
- Check the RB;
- Choose the Versions used in the File This shouldn’t be that close to the day the issue first appeared if there is no RB date, better.
- Use the verify tool.
- If the issue persists, find a different backup.
- If not, open up a new QuickBooks company file and enter all of your transactions again.
Steps to Prevent Target Chaining Error in QuickBooks Company File
As a user, you can attempt to alter or remove the transactions that are the primary cause of the error and take preventative measures. The chaining error issue may be fixed in this manner. To fix the Target Chaining Error in Company File in QuickBooks, try the following:
Resolve the errant transactions. From the transactions listed in the QuickBooks log file, delete the corrupted files.
- A new company file should ideally be started at the start of the fiscal year.
- Only if all the corrupted files from earlier transactions are made inactive may the target chaining error problem become a transitory issue.
- Even in a negative inventory, you should never use tainted files again.
Hopefully, the information provided in this article assisted you in fixing the Target Chaining Error when using the QuickBooks Rebuild tool. There may still be an instance when the issue still lingers. In that case, you should immediately call our QuickBooks Support team for guidance.
Sharing your queries with our QuickBooks error support experts will make your life easier. Our professionals will ensure that the issue gets resolved from your system without causing further damage to your company file or your other essential data files.