Motion design is the process of creating an animated story that aims to convey a message or evoke an emotional response from its audience.
To keep the attention of the modern viewer, narrative art is often used. Objects are placed in unusual conditions: twisted, crumbled into sand and reassembled, changing texture and shape. A motion designer can implement all these techniques and use them to tell, for example, about a product in a commercial.
What is motion design
Motion graphics or animation graphics, is a general concept of visual design and animation of images using computer technology. This also includes animation and computer graphics.
Motion graphics are different from simple video and regular animation – they are not a cartoon with a full story, but an illustration of data and ideas through presentations, infographics or promotional materials.
The profession of a motion designer is located at the junction of different areas: fine arts, information technology and dramaturgy – it is highly valued in the modern job market.
Motion design appeared in the middle of the last century. He was first known as animation design for film and broadcast design for television. There were no computers then, which made the production of graphics an expensive and time-consuming process. It was created by combining optical film, and later by digital editing.
Motion design, which we know about today, gained the most popularity with the advent of Adobe After Effects. The peak came at the end of the 2000s, and fame continued until 2015-2017. It was predominantly 2D motion design. It consisted of vector graphics animation, which was first drawn by illustrators and then animated by motion designers in After Effects.
What is motion design for?
To attract and hold the viewer’s attention for a long time, new means of expression are needed: the naturalness of objects, the ability to examine them from all sides.
People often watch videos on their smartphone without sound and may not hear the voice-over that tells important information. The use of motion design visual techniques makes the video accessible to anyone, regardless of the language they speak.
Animation is a great way to grab attention, convey information and ideas to the viewer and engage them in content.
Motion design has gained its popularity along with web design, thanks to the widespread use of computers and the Internet. It is increasingly used for the production of infographics and in general any digital content.
Five Benefits of Motion Design
Motion design has become popular due to the following benefits:
- Creative, creative presentation of content. It arouses interest and helps to keep the attention of the audience with an unusual design.
- Ease of getting information. Compared to regular images and texts, video content is much easier to digest. With the help of motion design, information data is illustrated, presented in a structured, convenient form.
- The compactness of the information presented. It is possible to convey complex materials in an accessible and understandable language even to an unprepared viewer with the help of motion design.
- Perception speed. The video uses several ways of obtaining information by the viewer at the same time – viewing, listening, reading. Motion design helps to quickly convey new information to a person and can be used, for example, in marketing – in a short time to convey maximum information in an advertising video.
- Versatility. Thanks to the growing technological progress, motion design is already being applied in different areas. Motion graphics are used in presentations of business ideas, goals and objectives of the company. There is a unique opportunity to use it in the design of websites, presentation videos of video games, advertising.
Where motion design is used
Almost all fields of activity constantly need to create informative, concise and spectacular content.
Motion design helps:
- effectively present a brand, company, product or service;
- to interest the audience;
- create accents on important points;
- convey as much information as possible.
Movie lovers are becoming more and more demanding of the effects they see on screen. Entire teams of motion designers are working on creating dynamic titles and beautiful animated graphics.
Consumers of the video clips market are completely oversaturated with visuals. To keep people’s attention, it is no longer enough to write a hit. Very often, it is a good clip with well-integrated motion design and visual effects that provides an ordinary song with millions of views. The video makes people discuss not only the text and music, but also share their emotions from the video.
The skills of a motion designer to an SMM specialist will increase the demand and value of his services – even email newsletters use simple animation, which makes such letters less likely to be ignored. And interestingly designed Instagram stories increase the loyalty of subscribers and increase sales.
Advertising is the industry where motion design is the most developed. Often there are situations when it is much easier and cheaper to completely recreate a commercial in 3D than to organize shooting. And often motion design allows you to create shots that cannot be realized with a camera.
The use of motion design has allowed companies to improve their product presentations, achieve wow effect and increase sales through beautifully detailed advertising. And this applies to both small companies that you have never heard of, as well as large corporations – manufacturers of software, cosmetics or cars.
Creating an unusual design for mobile applications or websites attracts more users to the resource. With the help of motion design, original banners, pop-up ads, animated logos are made. For greater attractiveness of the site, interactive elements are created in the design of the interface.
Courses and lectures designed with the use of motion design will be much better absorbed by students. Motion graphics help you present information with ease, animated graphics and lists explain complex concepts.
It is more convenient to introduce a new service or product, tell about the company with the help of a presentation release. It is after viewing it that 64% of buyers, according to the results of Tubular Insights testing, decide to purchase a product.
What does a motion designer do
The purpose of the work is to convey to the viewer the main idea and essence of the project in an interesting, simple and understandable way. Most often, this is an advertisement, and a standard order is to create a video presenting a product and its benefits.
The working day of a motion designer includes many tasks, the solution of which is part of his duties, these are:
- determining the type of content and its target audience;
- coordination and implementation of ideas for a business project, thinking through the style and main goal;
- planning options for creating and choosing the best composition;
- selection of technologies, search for funds and suitable motion design tools that will meet the goals of the project;
- development of technical specifications (technical tasks) with clear requirements: video duration, deadlines, payment methods;
- work with graphic editors, 3D programs, and video editing programs;
- formation of template options and sketches for approval;
- compliance with the correct placement of elements in the organizational structure of images.
Motion designer skills
What skills does a motion design professional need, besides inspiration and their own talent:
- know the basics of graphic design;
- understand the basics of composition, color theory, typography rules;
- know the technology of creating motion graphics;
- understand the creation of video and photography;
- have skills in marketing, screenwriting and dramaturgy;
- be able to use the necessary video editors and graphics programs;
- must be able to work with all project participants: programmers, illustrators, directors;
- possess the skills of working with information – be able to analyze using information resources;
- periodically replenish their knowledge of new tools and programs;
- keep track of trends, but do not forget to rely on your talent and project tasks;
- be fully aware of the technological chain in the creation of the project in which he takes part;
- know the basics of working with clients and analyzing the target audience
- skillfully show the story to the viewer, highlighting all the key points and conveying them as briefly and clearly as possible;
- constantly learn new things and improve, analyze their work and the work of colleagues;
- be able to present yourself and your work, defend your point of view.
The more professional skills a motion designer has, the better he creates interesting, impressive work, receiving decent pay and pleasure from the process.
Personal qualities of a motion designer
Necessary personal qualities for successful work as a professional:
- creative abilities, creativity;
- analytical mindset to perform technical tasks;
- aesthetic and artistic taste;
- communication skills, a tendency to work comfortably in a team;
- interest in trends and novelties;
- desire to constantly develop in the motion sphere.
All of the listed professional skills and personal qualities together define the portrait of a motion design specialist.
How to become a motion designer
For many, motion design seems like something complicated and requires special education, but in fact, a gaming laptop is enough to join this area.
There are tons of tutorials on YouTube where you can learn how to make simple animation. Next, you need to gradually immerse yourself in this area and learn the full cycle of creating motion design, which you can show not only to friends, but also attract a client, or even get a job at a studio – the main thing is interest in this area and the desire to learn.
So far, such a specialty does not exist in Russian universities – training is possible only in related areas (directing, graphic design, programming) or in special training courses, of which there are a considerable number.
Pros and cons of the motion designer profession
|Interesting creative profession||Lack of training centers|
|Decent salary||Risks with customers, may be dissatisfied with the result of work|
|Lack of great competition in the labor market||Constantly looking for new ideas|
|High demand||Needs a lot to learn|
|Constant self-development||Long hours sitting at the computer|
|Ability to work remotely|